VTM: Endless Night

A Vampire the Masquerade RPG set six months after Gehenna. Some Kindred were left standing, but rebuilding their shattered society is the least of their problems....

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Margifish
Admin

PostSubject: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Note: Date at RPG start is Tuesday, August 9th, 2005

Bic:  "You sure that new shop opening up over in Decatur won't hurt your business?"

Tessa blinked at the unexpected question, turning her dark head to look at the trim figure of Sally- one of her most devoted students and frequent customers. As the teenager's words sank in though, she offered her a reassuring smile.

"I'm not worried about it, Raven & Crone looks like it's going to be a place for fluffy bunny pagans and college girls with henna tattoos; going from the ad in the paper they're going to focus on music and books. I think I'll still have the hippie market cornered when it comes to herbs and natural products."

Relief appeared on the girl's freckled face before she inclined her head toward the sheet of paper currently clasped in the older woman's pale hand. "Thinking of expanding your business?"

Dark green eyes sparkled in a bit of good humor, "Slightly...the nursery over at the farmer's market is offering pretty good deals on their roses, so I thought I might head over tomorrow and see what they have. It might be a good idea to carry a few miniatures for sale here if they have them at a reasonable price. Anyway," Tessa nodded towards the clock on the wall, "It's an hour until I close up, and you promised your mom you wouldn't be late coming home again."

A pout appeared on Sally's face, but she sighed and gathered up her book-bag and stood up anyway, "Okay...but I'll be back Friday to check out what classes you're going to have next month."

"Be careful walking home, okay? This neighborhood's safer than most, but you can still run into some pretty weird characters." She shook her head at the teenager's snort and dismissive wave; watching as the girl disappeared through the front door of the small shop.

One more hour until closing indeed. She leaned back in her chair and glanced wistfully at the take-out menu sitting just on the edge of her field of vision. She'd been planning on just closing up and going upstairs to eat dinner in her apartment, but maybe she'd go out for a change instead. Zen on Ten was an Asian bistro and sushi bar that was her favorite place to splurge at, and they were open until 10:00.

She looked away from the menu and raked her gaze over the shop she'd been running for less than a year. It wasn't large or glamorous by any stretch of the imagination, and despite her quip about the potential clientele of the newly opening Raven & Crone she did tend to attract her share of the new-age crowd, but she was proud of her little corner of creation all the same.

Dominated by several rows of shelves containing all manner of soaps, bath salts, lotions, shampoos, candles, syrups, and sachets...Magick Garden Herbs lived up to its name by the presence of plant-based or themed products all throughout the store. Natural remedies competed for attention with books on gardening and herb identification, and the sweet scents of incense drifted among the brightly colored cloth of herbal dream pillows.

The glass case she was seated behind was locked, and held an assortment of bottles containing both her stronger medicines, as well as a few of her home-made wines and ciders. It had taken months of applying and red tape before she'd finally gotten a license to sell her own alcohol...

Stands on top of her counter displayed a collection of crystal, wire, and leather cord jewelry, only a few feet away from a large dozing orange and cream-colored cat. The back of the store had been converted into a cozy sitting area complete with a fireplace and leather sofas; a nearby table providing tea, coffee, and a tray of cookies and small cakes for the enjoyment of customer and student alike. The door to the left of the fireplace led back into her workroom- the place she prepared most of her products as well as where she held most of her classes. The narrow wooden stairs on the far right of the rear wall led up to her apartment.

The shop was empty now though, aside from herself and the cat, and with a final glance at the clock she sighed herself. Less than an hour to go...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://endlessnightvtm.forumotion.com
Featherstone

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:43 am

Once upon a time, Tessa's shop would not have been the kind of place Eva would have visited. Or, well, she could have done, just to make smartass remarks and point out the logical fallacies and lack of peer-reviwed studies that made the whole "New Age" business even possible.

Except, she wouldn't have done it, not even in her clueless mortal days. As much as she could be sarcastic among close, like minded friends; or, even better, under the anonimity or an internet account; she couldn't really bring herself to go and annoy a real person, one that despite their questionable methodology had a life and feeling and... damn... eyes. They had eyes. Stranger eyes. Eyes glaring at her. At her directly? And out of classes? How do you even start being smug in such a predicament? How?!

All such considerations, at any rate, were now insignificant and outdated. After being made a vampire's slave, and later a vampire herself, and witnessing the hand of God wiping out entire ilks... after all of that, mainly she felt lonely, not so much because of the people she had lost, but for the loss of her certitudes. Because, no matter how she tried to phrase it, what had just happened had little to do with evolution...

...Although, she still didn't want to believe or all that part on Caine. That, that was really too much to bear!

That night, as she found herself, casually walking close to Tessa's shop, in a thoughtful and melanchonic and confused mood, "Why not? Why not to enter and take a look?", she considered. If her very existence was an insult to reason and the world much more incomprehensible than she could conceive, why not to visit a place such as that? In a disturbing way, it seemed to belong to her world much more than she did.

Eva walked in quietly, greeting with a nod of the head and suddenly turning her attention to variety of objetcs exposed and relishing, if nothing else, the smell of herbs and wood and leather and an alien kind of comfort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Margifish
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:18 pm

ooc:  Tessa would like to point out that Magick Garden isn't a 'new age' shop, it's a herb/herbal product shop, and their medical benefits are perfectly based in science. Razz lol

bic: The bell above the door jangled cheerfully even as Tessa repressed an inward groan; it was less than ten minutes until she was going to lock up but the arrival of a thin blonde woman who looked roughly her age put an end to that. Still, she hadn't cultivated a loyal following of students and customers by being rude to a potential new one.

"Hey there, is there anything in particular I can help you find?" Her tone was friendly and, despite the tiny flash of disappointment in not being able to close on time, ironically genuine. Out of the corner of her eye she saw with a little bit of surprise her cat abruptly get to his feet before bolting for the stairs that led up to the apartment; as if disturbed by something.
Back to top Go down
Featherstone

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:10 am

Eva had a theory on shop clerks, shop owners, shop people in general. It was a theory only in the weakest sense of the term - it was based on anecdotal evidence and not peer reviewed; any methodical collection on data, indeed, would have required a kind of effort that Eva wasn't willing to undertake, and that she would have considered too cruel to require to test subjects. However, it had never been disconfermed, for what little it meant.

It stated, such a half-hearted, unscientific theory, that the more you were uncomfortable, uninterested in shopping and only looking for solitude, the higher were the odds that a shop-person would have approached you. As a human, her haphazard illation had something to do with hormons, neuroscience, and the ancestral relation between predator and prey. Yet another belief that had been shattered by her Embrace - for now she wasn't supposed to have hormons, and on the top of that, she should have reasonably been listed under the column of the 'predators'. And yet, there she was..........

"Uh? Oh, hm... Nothing special, I am just... looking around", she said, looking at Tessa, her eyes slightly widened. Was that rude? She didn't think it was rude. But, was she looking for something? The only thing she could think of was that one of those shops in D&D must have had a similar feel. Which was kind of an entertaining thought and a pleasant sensation. But still. She couldn't ask for some Flame Arrow oil, or a Bear's Endurance potion. Or could she? No, she couldn't.

However!, she thought, as her eyes glimpsed at the herbs and her mind wandered in the realm of unscientific experiments, there was something she could have used. "Would you have anything that, uh, is still in the process of being dessiccated?" she asked. Because, now, that made perfectly sense! "Because... I am in the process of studying, hm, the desiccation process, you know..." she continued, simultaneously yelling mental insults at herself for being such a dork. The desiccation process?! Yeah, she knew what she had in mind. And she could have done it with anything from the supermarket. Or, you know, anything at all. But sometimes she just had to say the stupidest thing that crossed her mind.

Well, not as bad as asking for some D&D oil...

"Are you always open this late?", she added, in a desperate attempt to change topic and actually having a vivid impression she was digging her own grave.

Which was kind of appropriate, being her dead and all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Margifish
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 pm

"It's just now a little after eight." Tessa said mildly, rising up from her stool, "I close at eight, but this is 'Hotlanta...back in the town where I was from, things closed down around five, but most stores around here stay open a lot later." She smiled, studying the other girl who good-humored amusement; she reminded her of some of the people she'd gone to college with...geeky, 'adorkable' types who were more into scientific processes than they were in things people assumed people their age 'should' be more interested in- like sex or alcohol.

"As for something 'desiccated'... I have some herbs back in my workroom that are drying. If you're really interested I can let you have some, no charge." She glanced back at the shy-looking and her smile deepened a notch, "Do you go to school around here? One of my friends back in college was always snitching stuff from my crafting supplies for his class projects."
Back to top Go down
Featherstone

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:49 pm

"Oh! But, are you staying here just for me? You should not... And, I must know something about small towns. Where do you come from?", she said, soon regretting she had started talking about herself, and deflecting the topic to her interlocutor as soon as possible.

And, really? She was kind! But, was it appropriate to take her stuff for free? "Uh... That's... nice? But I-I don't want to take advantage, they must have costed something to you." The following question hit her like... Like something that hits you with such an obviousness and an unexpectedness at the same time, that you are rendered speechless and incapable to articulate metaphors that make any sense. "I actually teach around here. Although, this experiment is not for students and more of my personal research, but. But, you're right, you're not the first to mistake me for a student" - Why, was it making it any better? - "Hm. If I were a man I could grow a beard, I guess...". And once again, she realized she could have not continued like that forever. Sometimes she'd have to change places, papers, names, like her Sire had done. But, unless her Sire, she was on her own-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Margifish
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:22 pm

"Forest City, North Carolina originally. I went to school- college I mean- in Asheville, but when I was done....well, Asheville isn't called 'The Freak Capitol of the South' for nothing. There were so many other hippie, pagan, and nature-based shops already there that I didn't like my chances of getting my business off the ground there. So I came down here. Atlanta's much, much bigger than Asheville, so people tend to shop at the businesses closest to where they live."

She regarded the other girl with amusement, smiling at her remarks and awkward demeanor in general, "Well you never can tell about age. I've had professors in their twenties and a woman in her eighties who was a student in one of my classes. As for the herbs...don't worry about it. I own the building, and the entire roof is my private garden. I grow almost everything I sell here, except the more exotic stuff that isn't suited for the climate. I'm Tessa by the way."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden   

Back to top Go down

Tuesday Evening at Magick Garden
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1